Friday, January 13, 2023

The Simple Quiet

After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone . . . (Matthew 14:23, NIV)

When lockdowns happened with the Covid Pandemic, I went to the cemetery. There I walked the asphalt around the grounds, mothered my son's tiny grave, and prayed. I had sins to confess, and doubts to sort through.

Being without sin, Jesus had no need to ask for pardon, but he did know that he needed time with his father in Heaven. So he went away from the crowds, the loud noises, even the Temple. He went to the mountain to get away from the distractions so that he could focus solely on his time alone with God.

I call my time away at the cemetery, the simple quiet. During the Pandemic it was great to have a place that was meaningful to me where I could go. I never had to wear a mask. I never had to worry about getting the virus or giving it to anyone. The dead, are after all, protected from these things. As breezes blew over treetops and birds sang, I sat on a towel by my son's grave and enjoyed the calm solitude.

Find a place to pray away from distractions. Go to that spot where you can freely talk to God.



First published on Medium.com

No comments: