Tuesday, May 1, 2012

News for Still Life in Shadows!

The other day while watching the National Geographic Channel, my husband informed me that a new episode of Amish: Out of Order was to air the first of May. With my ex-Amish novel, Still Life in Shadows, about to debut, of course I was interested. As I viewed snippets of other ex-Amish news on the Internet, I came across an article in The Daily Tribune about Mose Gingerich. Mose didn't know it, but he was the inspiration for my novel. Like Mose, my character Gideon Miller, helps Amish youth leave their communities in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania to resettle in modern society. He helps them find employment and offers them an inexpensive place to live.


After reading the article again (I'd come across it once before earlier in the year) I wrote to the journalist, Janese Silvey. She emailed to say she wanted to talk with me the following week. The result? Me and Still Life in Shadows in The Columbia Daily Tribune!
Janese asked if my character was based on the real Mose Gingerich. Of course, Gideon is. Just like Mose, he helps Amish youth who have escaped their old lifestyles.


I'll be watching Mose tonight on NatGeo. I hope you will, too. 10 PM EST is when Amish: Out of Order will air.



Be sure to read the full article with me and Mose.

No comments: